While people may think of physical therapy as simply learning special exercises for rehabilitation after an injury or surgery, this medical field is much more comprehensive than that. Physical therapy involves the professional evaluation of your ability to move and function efficiently and then employing goal-oriented strategies to help you achieve and maintain your fitness goals.
Let’s talk about how physical therapy is more than just exercise, and where you can go in Cedar Park, Bee Cave, and Greater Austin to see an outstanding physical therapist.
What Does Physical Therapy Involve?
Your physical therapist will first conduct a complete assessment of your mobility levels. This is called a functional capacity evaluation, and this exam reveals the details of your flexibility, mobility, pain level (and specific points of pain), and areas of strength and weakness.
With these findings, the therapist can compose a treatment plan which targets areas needing improvement. The treatment plan also outlines ways to reach specific goals, such as climbing stairs safely or being able to grasp and hold small objects.
The treatment plan for your physical therapy may also include the following:
- Use of assistive devices (splints, canes, walkers, etc.)
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) to reduce pain and improve the functionality of muscles and nerves
- Application of heat and cold therapy
- Dry needling treatment to reduce pain caused by tight, tender trigger points in a muscle
Your physical therapist may assist you in both passive and active exercises and stretches. In passive exercises, they do the work, such as moving and manipulating your painful joint. In active exercises, you do the work as they teach you.
Why Do People Need Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy helps people overcome dysfunction related to acute or chronic illness, injury, or long-term disability. Physical therapy is also employed in helping athletes at all levels to become stronger and to learn how to avoid injuries.
Physical therapists work to help their clients to:
- Get back to fully functional lives
- Control or eliminate pain
- Overcome movement disorders
- Build cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength
- Rely less on pain medications
- Improve flexibility and range of motion
- Perform job-related tasks well and without causing repetitive-motion injuries
- Improve sports performance
- Perform activities of daily living, such as bathing and dressing, safely and effectively
- Remain or return to mobility and independence
- Improve overall physical health and sense of well-being
- Learn how to move safely and avoid falls and injuries
People receive physical therapy either on a short-term or continuing basis for a variety of conditions, including restrengthening and/or healing the following:
- Sports-related conditions and injuries
- Female health problems, such as pelvic floor muscle laxity
- Cardiac conditions, such as post-heart attack weakness
- Respiratory problems, such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Skin and soft-tissue issues, such as a diabetic wound or a burn
- Orthopedic conditions, such as arthritis, joint replacement surgery, or a sprain or strain
- Hand dysfunction, such as trigger finger or carpal tunnel syndrome
- Balance problems
- Fluid accumulation, usually in the lower legs (lymphedema)
Physical Therapy in Cedar Park and Greater Austin, TX
If you are looking for the finest physical therapy center available in the Austin, Texas, area, Endeavor Physical Therapy & Wellness is here for you. We have several locations for your convenience, including Austin, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Bee Cave, Hutto, Manor, and Round Rock.
Call Endeavor Physical Therapy & Wellness today to schedule your initial consultation at (512) 213-1092, or request an appointment online now. We look forward to seeing you!