If you have an injury or chronic pain, physical therapy can be an effective nonsurgical, nonmedicinal solution to restore your function and reduce your pain. It is also a necessity when recovering from many types of surgery or after being in a debilitating accident.
You may be pleasantly surprised to hear that physical therapy doesn’t have to involve leaving home and going to a clinic or a rehab center. Many people choose to have this type of treatment in the comfort and convenience of their own homes.
This can be done in two ways: The physical therapist can come to your home, or you can meet virtually via telehealth. Let’s talk about what’s involved in receiving physical therapy at home, and where you can go for a consultation and therapeutic treatment here in the Austin area.
Physical Therapy via Telehealth Services
Just like meeting with a doctor via your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or another computing device, you can meet with your physical therapist the same way. Telehealth is becoming an increasingly popular option for patients to receive ongoing therapy treatment.
It involves accessing a live, one-on-one video appointment with your physical therapist. Many physical therapists are also providing online visual demonstrations that can be downloaded and carried out regularly at home, or available to watch anytime via websites such as YouTube or Rumble. This enables patients to have more control over their treatment program and to continue physical therapy exercises and stretches on their own time, improving areas such as strength, resistance, balance, and core stability.
Telehealth can offer a number of other benefits, including:
- Making physical therapy more accessible to patients who find it difficult to get out of the house or to an office
- Not having to worry about COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) exposure
- Convenience: no travel, no wait time
- Feeling of more privacy between you and the physical therapist
- Receiving personalized advice about how to continue performing the recommended exercises on your own at home
How Can Physical Therapy Be Done in Person at Home?
An even more traditional way to receive physical therapy at home is by having your therapist come to your home and help you exercise and stretch. The nice thing about this is that you can be completely candid and comfortable, and you don’t have to feel embarrassed around other people. Also, the therapist can physically guide your motions so that you learn how to perform them properly.
Physical therapy at home involves almost all of the same benefits as you’d have by going to a therapy center. You may not have the equipment that a center would have, but physical therapists often know how to teach patients how to perform the necessary movements even without apparatus.
Home physical therapy provides all of the following benefits:
- Learning how to improve mobility, balance, and strength
- Reducing or eliminating pain
- Learning preventive care, such as how to prevent falls
- Implementing methods that can help you avoid needing surgery
- Pre- and post-operative physical therapy rehabilitation
- Learning how to control or mitigate age-related medical conditions
Comprehensive Physical Therapy in Round Rock and Austin, TX
If you would like to find out more about the services we offer at Endeavor Physical Therapy & Wellness or to request an appointment with one of our experienced physical therapists, call us today at (512) 284-7192 or request an appointment online. We look forward to helping you get back to enjoying an active lifestyle!