A workman’s comp visit, also called a worker’s compensation visit, covers any illness or injury that happened at work or due to your occupation. Examples of injuries that you can sustain on the job include injuries sustained due to slipping, falling, or an accident while handling machinery. If you experience any occupational injury, a physician can provide the necessary medical report for your claim as well as treatment to help you get better.
What Questions Should You Ask During A Workman’s Comp Visit?
Your physician’s medical report will provide the extra support you need to acquire occupational injury compensation. Thus, you must attain the information necessary to move forward in the process and, most importantly, reduce recovery time.
Here are some of the essential questions to ask a physician during your workman’s comp visit.
Ask About Your Diagnosis
You should first ask about pertinent information regarding your illness or injury. You need to ask about this to have a better understanding of how and why it happened.
You should ask questions such as the following:
- What caused this condition?
- How can we treat and manage my condition?
- Are the effects of my condition permanent?
- What can I do to prevent this from occurring again?
Your doctor will also ask you many questions about your injury or illness, as well as your occupation, hobbies, and lifestyle. If your injury or illness did not happen suddenly after a very obvious incident, such as a fall or machinery accident, it could be an overuse injury that developed over several days, weeks, or months. Based on all this information, your doctor will determine if your injury was caused by a work-related task or something else.
Ask About Medical Tests
Your physician may determine a need for medical testing upon their initial assessment during your workman’s comp visit. Whether it is an occupational injury or an illness, your doctor may need further information to evaluate your condition.
Before having a medical test done, you may want to ask your doctor the following questions:
- Why do I need to get this medical test done?
- What does this medical test involve?
- How do I prepare for this test?
- Are there any side effects?
- When will I know the results?
- What can I do while waiting for the test results?
Ask About Your Treatment Plan
After evaluating your condition, your physician will create a treatment plan, so you can recover and return to work safely and quickly. Treatment for occupational injuries often involves physical therapy. If you are prescribed medications, it is also crucial you know the name of the drug and why you need it.
Before heading to your workman’s comp visit, it may be best to list all the medications or drugs you are taking. You should let your physician know what these are, so they can prevent any harmful interactions between drugs.
Here are some questions you can ask regarding treatment:
- How long should I take this medication?
- What are the side effects of this treatment?
- What if this prescription doesn’t work?
- What do I do when I feel sick in the stomach?
- Should I eat before taking the medications?
- Should I stop taking prescription medicine if I feel better?
- Are there signs I need to look out for that require immediate medical attention?
If your physician recommends you undergo physical therapy during your workman’s comp visit, here’s what you can ask:
- How long will I need to see a physical therapist?
- What will I do during a physical therapy session?
- How will physical therapy help treat my injury?
- Can I do physical therapy at home?
Workman’s Comp Program In Austin, Texas
You can never go wrong with asking questions during your workman’s comp visit. It’s always better to have a good understanding of your condition and what you can do. Establishing a good connection and opening up to your doctor will significantly benefit you and help make treatment a lot easier.
Endeavor Physical Therapy has been serving patients in Austin, Round Rock, and Manor, Texas, for years. We also have convenient locations serving Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Bee Caves, and Hutto. Across all clinics, we have tailored physical therapy programs, especially for worker’s compensation patients.
If you require comprehensive and quality physical therapy, we’re here for you. Our experts will work closely with you and your doctor to get you back on your feet in no time. Schedule an appointment today to start your recovery. To get in touch with us, you may call our staff at (512) 284-7192 or fill out our secure appointment request form online. We look forward to helping you return to work as quickly as possible!